The effect of voltage drop on different loads 1bedewy
The effect of voltage drop on different loads
What is the effect of voltage drop on different loads? A very important question that is frequently asked about the repercussions of the effect of voltage drop on various electrical loads, whether household loads or industrial loads.
In this article, we will learn how voltage drops affect electronic devices, motors, and light bulbs.
What is the effect of voltage drop on different loads?
Impact on electronic devices
Most of the devices that suffer from a decrease in the voltage of their feeding source are the possibility of stopping the devices, or they may cause internal malfunctions.
Impact on electric motors
Low power supply voltage of an induction motor may cause:
- Low starting torque of the engine, which may lead to damage to the engines.
- Increase the starting current. And if it is started successfully, the problem of the high temperature of the coils will remain during operation due to the high value of the current.
Effect on light bulbs
Most lighting systems are capable of withstanding voltage dips, such as:
- Incandescent lamps: their light intensity decreases to 70% of their rating, when the voltage drops by 90%, which accumulates a decrease in their optical efficiency to 80%. But do not be affected by the voltage drop because the lamp current is reduced and this type of constant power devices are not classified.
- Fluorescent lamps: The effect is more severe than incandescent lamps, due to the presence of a throttle coil, so the increase or decrease in voltage will contribute to reducing its life span, especially if the voltage drops to 70%, it will affect the electric brake, and it becomes unable to supply energy due to the occurrence of the arc inside the tube .
- High intensity discharge lamps: severely affected by changing the voltage to the point of extinguishing if the voltage drops below 80%.
effect on capacitors
It is known that the placement of capacitors has several goals, the most important of which is improving the power factor, but if a voltage drop occurs by 90% of its value, this leads to a decrease in the value of the Q generated from the capacitor to 81% (proportional to the square of the voltage), which negatively affects the capacitors .
Impact on home appliances
There are many devices that have constant power motors that are strongly affected by any voltage drop, as we know that the voltage drop will necessarily lead to an increase in the current in the same proportion. But the problem is that the height is not a big difference, it may be only 10%, and this means that the electric cutter will not feel the increase in current and will not disconnect, while the device will suffer from this increase and with the passage of time it will reach the stage of burning.
If you have any questions, please contact us freely and we will be happy to serve you.
We are pleased to have you visit our pages on social networking sites, where we publish exclusive offers on our website.
Our Facebook page here .
Our Twitter account here .
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.