Some Important Features of Silicon CarbideMohamed Bedawy
Some Important Features of Silicon Carbide
Silicon carbide or SiC is of growing importance in the industrial sector. As they largely used as abrasives, it has become very important to select the right quality of the compound. These will help to gain greater productivity of the compound.
Knowing About Silicon Carbide
Most people know silicon carbide by the name of carborundum. Clearly, the name of the compound suggests its composition. The compound is formed by reaction of silicon and carbon at a certain proposition in suitable surroundings. This is a rarely found mineral. The mineral is called by the name of moissanite. When sand and carbon is exposed to electrochemical reaction at high-temperature condition, moissanite is formed.
Physical Features of Sic
The compound is Crystalline in nature. It does not have any color in the pure form. There might be some with brown to black color. This is because of the presence of iron in it.
Properties of Sic
• The pure form of silicon carbide is a semi-conductor. However, to gain metallic conductivity, it has to be doped heavily with nitrogen, aluminium or boron.
• The compound has low density but has a higher strength.
• It does not melt easily as it has high melting point.
• It undergoes low thermal expansion if exposed to extreme temperature conditions. It also has high thermal conductivity.
• A ceramic made of silicon carbide is very hard. It exhibits thermal shock resistance.
• The compound does not easily mix with other chemicals. This is because it has got superior chemical inertness.
• It is resistant to corrosion.
What Is the Commercial Grade Silicon Carbide?
There are mainly three types of commercial grade SiC. These are nitride bonded, sintered and reaction bonded. They are of high performance in their application. The technical grade compounds have good mechanical properties. That is why they are widely used in the industrial areas. The engineers are trying their level best to bring about further advancement with these compounds.
Applications of Sic
As it is a hard material, it is used for grinding, sandblasting, water-jet cutting machines and honing. The smaller particles are used for making sandpaper. They are also used to make bullet proof jackets. In the high-temperature kilns, they are used as shelving and supporting materials. They are also used in the electric systems. As a part of the automobiles, they have the power to withstand great temperature and pressure conditions.
Other than these they are used as jewelry, astronomy, steel production, etc. To know further details, you can check the internet.