How to protect the network from overvoltage and what is needed for this
How to protect the network from overvoltage and what is needed for this
- main reasons
- Surge protector
Most often, overvoltage in the 220 and 380 V network occurs for the following reasons:
- Break the neutral wire on the supply line. The zero conductor provides voltage symmetry in the phases of the supply network, with different amounts of load in the phases. In the event of a zero break, the voltage in each phase varies depending on the difference in phase loads: in the less loaded phase it increases sharply up to 300 V and more, and in the most loaded phase it drops sharply to values less than 200 V. Therefore, without Overvoltage Protection At high voltage household appliances can fail almost instantly, but if the voltage is low the electrical appliances will not work properly. At the same time, there is a high probability of failure of electrical appliances, in the design of which there are electric motors (compressors).
- Connection error in the electrical panel. If a three-phase input is installed in the house and when connecting a single-phase 220 V wiring line, the second phase conductor is incorrectly connected instead of zero, then 380 V will appear in the outlet instead of 220 V.
- An impulse voltage occurred due to a thunderstorm entering a power line (which is why it is recommended to turn off all household appliances during a thunderstorm, as well as do lightning protection in the area).
- Overvoltage switch. In case of an emergency in the electrical network: a short circuit on adjacent lines, a sudden change in load due to the interruption (connection) of a section of the electrical network, and accidents at power plants can be observed. Voltage drops, which, depending on the size, can negatively affect the operation of household electrical appliances.
As you can see, overload in a single-phase and three-phase network affects many factors, including natural ones. Therefore, home wiring must be protected so as not to become a victim of an accident.
In the modern world, there are many different devices for surge protection in the network, which are easy to connect with your own hands. Consider devices used to protect against unwanted power surges.
Among the most useful for use at home and apartment:
- Balancer . This device converts (stabilizes) the input voltage into a voltage of a certain value. It is important to install a stabilizer if constant voltage drops are observed in the network.
It should be borne in mind that the stabilizer operates only at voltages that do not exceed the permissible values indicated in its technical characteristics.
If the current rises above acceptable limits, the stabilizer may fail. Therefore it is necessary to choose a voltage regulator with built-in surge protection, and in the absence of such a function, install a voltage relay for protection. About how to connect a voltage regulator, we told in the corresponding article!
- Voltage relay . This protective device , unlike MV, does not transform the input voltage. Voltage relay is designed to disconnect household wiring from the electrical network in case of unwanted voltage drops (GOST 3699-82). Minimum and maximum voltage limits are set on the relay, and in the event of a jump above the set limits, the relay de-energizes the household wiring, thus protecting household electrical appliances.
LV can be made in the form of a modular device for installation in a distribution board (known barrier), built into an extension cord (surge protector with the corresponding function), as well as in the form of an electrical plug (for example, ZUBR). About how to choose a voltage relay we talked in a separate article.
- Multifunctional protection device (UMM ) . This device can be installed in a switchboard instead of a voltage relay. UZM performs several functions, one of which is the protection of the electrical network from voltage surges. About how the UZM-51M works and how to connect it, we told in a separate article.
- Uninterruptible power supply . Once again, from my own experience, I will confirm its effectiveness. More than ten times, the UPS has saved my computer from a sudden shutdown when the voltage at the electrical panel tripped. The cost of “uninterrupted” is low, so it is absolutely necessary to purchase this option of surge protection in the presence of a computer. In addition, most modern uninterruptible power supplies have an internal stabilizer, which is especially important for computer equipment, which is more likely to be affected by fluctuations than most household appliances.
- SPD. From impulse voltages (which occur during a thunderstorm and can disable equipment), you can protect yourself by installing an SPD at home. This device is very popular today and is widely used in everyday life and production. More about what SPD is and how it works, we describe in a separate article, we highly recommend that you familiarize yourself with it. It should be noted that SPDs can also be called detainee mounting (OPN) units.
- Contact the power supply service . The energy supplying organization, in accordance with the electricity supply agreement, is obliged to provide a normal voltage level (within acceptable limits) of the electrical network in accordance with GOST 29322-2014 (IEC 60038: 2009). Therefore, if you constantly have an excessive decrease or, on the contrary, an increase in voltage, you need to contact the supplying organization with a corresponding complaint. Handling a collective complaint is most effective, as individual appeals are usually ignored. Contacting the supplier organization is the only way to solve the problem if you experience a sharp voltage drop, since in this mode it will quickly fail.
After installing the necessary devices, overvoltage protection can be provided in the 220 and 380 V network, after which you can not worry about the fact that household appliances, wiring, and most importantly, your life will be in a dangerous situation.
If you have any inquiry, please contact us freely and we will be happy to serve you.
When we say Jeezly website, we are talking about one of the most famous Arab websites that was able, in a very short period of time, to achieve a very large demand for purchases from it by people from various parts and sectors of the Arab world.
On the Jeezly website, you will find a joint look and all the products that you may need in your home, starting with those for kitchens or bathrooms, but even those for gardens, you will find them on this wonderful site.
So, if you were lost before and did not know where to go to buy your products on the Internet, now you have the perfect solution, and all you have to do is go to the Jezli website and start choosing the products you want.
Since we are talking about a site that is preferred by many people around the world, there is no doubt that it is a site full of various features and characteristics. Therefore, we have decided to devote our next paragraph to pointing out the most prominent features of the Jezli site.
One of the most prominent features of the site is the proportionality of prices. On the Jeezly website, you do not have to worry about the imaginary prices of the products, as is the case with most sites that display their products on the Internet.
The price of delivering products is very reasonable and not expensive, and the site accepts delivery to various countries, without forgetting that it accepts free shipping on some products.
One of the features of the site is also the high quality of its products, as it is impossible to find a poor quality product. Rather, the Jezli website deals with the major companies, Philips, for example, and other famous brands, so you must remove from your mind the idea of the poor quality of one of the products. Another advantage of the site is that it does not specialize in one type of product, but rather you will find various types of products on it, for example, electrical appliances, hand tools, mechanical devices, paints, packages for establishing apartments, and many other types.
Jeezly website also accepts what is known as the shopping cart, which makes it easy for you to filter the products you want to buy and put them in one package in order to be able to pay with the click of a single button.
Accepts multiple payment methods.
We are pleased that you visit our social media pages, where we publish exclusive offers on our website.
Our Facebook page is here .
Our Twitter account is here .